Served warm or cold, high protein healthy snack.
- 1cup Quinoa, dry
- 2cups Water, cold
- 1cup Green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/4cup Fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4cup Shelled hemp seeds
- 2tablespoons Olive oil
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 2teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1teaspoon Maple syrup
- 1/4teaspoon Sea salt (plus a little extra)
- 1dash Black pepper
- Rinse quinoa in a mesh strainer with cold water. Transfer to a pot and add the 2 cups cold water and a nice pinch of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and leave the lid of the pot slightly ajar while cooking. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until quinoa is plump, the water is absorbed, and you see the tiny little outer “shells” of the quinoa grain coming loose in the pot.
- Remove quinoa from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes or so. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- While quinoa is cooking, boil fresh or frozen peas till warm and tender. Drain and set aside.
- Mix quinoa, peas, basil, and hemp seeds in a large bowl. Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, dijon mustard, 1/4 tsp sea salt, and black pepper. Pour over the quinoa salad mixture, and serve warm or cold.